Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Ghee Almighty

While wandering through a local health food store, my boyfriend and I stumbled across a jar with “casein-fee ghee” on the label. This warranted a double-take. For those who don’t know, ghee (or drawn butter) is simply butter with the fat solids removed. It’s a staple of Indian cuisine and I have been trying to find excuses to use it in my normal cooking. My boyfriend was still a little skeptical, and as this discussion brought up, there is no surefire way to make sure that 100% of the casein is out of the product. However, I did tell him that if he did have a reaction despite the fact that the product is labeled “casein-free”, he could probably bring it to court and get a pretty cushy settlement to cover those pesky college debts and the cost of grass-fed beef!

Another blogger had a different solution. This blog suggests cutting the ghee with some other fat like coconut oil to make it stretch farther and reduce the use. This is a great idea because although any trace amounts of casein could technically be considered “low exposure”, my boyfriend is worried that a lot of low exposure might eventually lead up to a rather big reaction. Using less ghee and more coconut oil could be the answer. Plus, as the blog states, this stuff can get pretty pricey. Adding the coconut could also make it last longer!

Perhaps my special Mexican cookies are in the future?

No comments:

Post a Comment